Monday, February 3, 2014

Professionalism and The Work Place

The aviation industry offers numerous opportunities for employment, both in the public and private sectors. Going forward I see myself working in the public sector, either for a state or federal agency. One specific area of employment I would enjoy is an Airport Marketing and Communications Manager, such as this position in Colorado Springs, Colorado. Positions such as the one linked to above are offered at a variety of airports around the country, but I find myself looking for employment on either the East or West Coast. An Airport Marketing and Communications Manager manages multiple aspects of an airports marketing program, public relations, media relations, and communications programs. The position requires the development of marketing collateral, serve as the main media contact, and the production of news releases. As the main media contact, Airport Marketing and Communications Managers have to ensure that the information they expend is accurate and does not express personal bias or personnel information. Holding scheduled press conferences and releases allows for the correct phraseology to be used and to prevent off-the-cuff remarks, reducing exposure to lawsuit liability.   


Airport Marketing and Communications Managers are required to demonstrate a very high level of professionalism with their interactions with employees and the public. Professionalism is the mindset that one should remain courteous and honest, adhere to rules and decorum, and follow through with their commitments and responsibilities in the work environment. Within the aviation industry, Colgan Air provides several prime examples of lax professionalism.  The first example comes from Flight 3407, where both pilots engaged in nonessential conversation when the aircraft was under 10,000 ft., violating the sterile cockpit rule and contributing to their inattentiveness to unfurling events.  Secondly, a captain at Colgan falsified weight records so he could fly his overweight aircraft. Both of these examples highlight a disregard for workplace professionalism. I would ensure my professionalism by preventing complacency, in both my work and personal relationships with coworkers. I would also engage in continuous improvement via seminars/workshops offered by the AAAE and other organizations, to have a frontline knowledge of industry trends and information.

4 comments:

  1. Being committed to something allows you to put fourth your best effort to get the job done. Complacency was huge in the Army and we took every measure we could to get rid of it. I was an Infantry grunt in my 8 years in the Army and if you had complacency someone was going to get killed. I took care of the soldiers under me and I will incorporate that in my daily routine when I have future employees working for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an interesting aviation management position. Keep me posted if you end up working in this field. I would love to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that professionalism has a lot to do with the interaction of oens customers—and the mage they portray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think is awesome to see other students here on the AAAE website. It is one of the best tools I have seen for Management majors.

    ReplyDelete